My relaxed hair days saw a lot of heat usage, and whilst I can wholeheartedly say that I was often pleased with my hair straightening results, one thing is for sure, I could never master the at home salon finish, i.e. the bounce and free flow that would have you feeling like you were in a L’oreal ad [you know you’ve been there too!]
Well, if like myself you’ve climbed mountains and crossed valleys tried and tried, and have yet to achieve that salon look at home, then this post may just be the beginning of your journey to silk press perfection!
What is a Silk Press?
A silk press is a modern-day version of the traditional press and curl. Instead of using a hot comb to press the hair a flat-iron is used, and instead of using products such as heavy oils/grease to press the hair, the silk press favours serums or very light oils. If done correctly a silk press will result in bouncy shiny hair which feels light and free-flowing.
What you will need
A Clarifying Shampoo
A Hydrating Shampoo
A Deep Conditioner
A light Moisturiser/Leave-In
Heat Protectant Serum
Narrow-toothed Comb e.g Rat Tail Comb
1.Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo. In order for you to achieve the bounce and free flow that silk presses give, you need to ensure your hair is clean and free of all product build up
2. Follow up with a hydrating shampoo to help restore a little moisture back into your hair, and also to ensure your hair has been cleaned thoroughly
3. Deep condition for 20 – 30 minutes. This will help to restore moisture back into the hair as well as increase elasticity. I spoke to a friend who works as a stylist and she advised on using a deep conditioner which is both moisturising and strengthening (protein), this will help to ensure that the hair is stronger and in a good condition before any heat is applied
4. If possible rinse the conditioner out with cool water, this is said to help seal in moisture and increase the shine in our hair
5. Apply a light leave-in/moisturiser to your hair. Dry hair is more susceptible to heat damage so this step is crucial
6. If your heat protectant doubles up as a serum apply a small amount to your hair at this stage. If not, only add your heat protectant and then blow dry your hair
7. Blow dry hair on low or medium heat
8. Add a few drops of your serum again to the strands of your hair (for shine and flow), and then use the comb chase method to straighten your hair in small sections.
Comb Chase Method